Impact of Rating Changes on Stock Prices
|International Journal of Economics and Management Studies|
|© 2017 by SSRG - IJEMS Journal|
|Volume 4 Issue 2|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Dr Vandana Gupta|
How to Cite?
Dr Vandana Gupta, "Impact of Rating Changes on Stock Prices," SSRG International Journal of Economics and Management Studies, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 8-17, 2017. Crossref, https://doi.org/10.14445/23939125/IJEMS-V4I2P102
The objective of this study is to analyze whether the credit rating downgrades of debt instruments of banks has an impact on the market price of its stocks. The methodology adopted is an “event study methodology” where the author had analyzed the returns of the stock 45 days before and after the rating change announcement; in addition to that “average abnormal returns” (difference between actual return and market model returns) determined aims to provide a clearer picture regarding the impact of rating change announcement. The research findings of the study reveal that the returns of the banking stocks were impacted by the release of rating downgrade information. The stocks showed significant negative returns after the announcement when in fact the market showed increased positive returns, clearly showing the impact. Also the count of average abnormal returns days showed an increased count of negative returns days during and after the announcement.
credit rating, banks, abnormal return, announcement.
1) Archana, H.N., Jayanna, S. (2015) “Impact of rating changes on stock prices in India – A Study of banking sector „International Multidisciplinary E-Journal Vol-IV,Issue –VIII, Aug,2015.
2) Abad-Romero, P. and .Robles-Fernandez, (2006), 'Risk and Return around Bond Rating Changes: New Evidence from the Spanish Stock Market', Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Vol. 33, Nos. 5&6 (June/July), pp.885-908.
3) Akhigbe, A., J. Madura and A.M. Whyte, (1997), 'Intraindustry Effects of Bond Rating Adjustments', The Journal of Financial Research, Vol 20, pp. 545-61.
4) Barron. M. J, Clare. A. D. and Thomas. S. H., (1997), “The effect of bond rating changes and new ratings on UK stock returns”, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, Vol.24, No 3 and 4, pp. 497-509.
5) Brown J. S and Warner J. B., (1985), “Using daily stock returns the case of event studies”, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol.14, pp. 3-31.
6) Chandrashekar R,Mallikarjunappa, T. (2013), “Research paper on Impact of Bond Rating on Stock Returns” Paripex –Indian Journal of Research Volume: 2 | Issue: 4 | April 2013
7) Hasniza, M.T., Amalia, Di Iorio, Terrence, H (2011), “The Stock Market Impact of Corporate Bond Rating Changes: New Evidence from the UK and Australian Stock Markets”www.efmaefm.org/0EFMAMEETINGS/.../2012.../E FMA2012_0383_fullpaper.pdf.
8) Boehmer, E., Musumeci,J. and Poulsen, A. B. (1991), 'Eventstudy Methodology under Conditions of Event-induced Variance', Journal of Financial Economics Vol.30, PP. 253-72.
9) Creighton, A, Gower,L and Richards,A.J. (2007), 'The Impact of Rating Changes in Australian Financial Markets', Pacific- Basin Finance Journal, Vol. 15, pp. 1-17.
10) Crouhy, M., Galai, D. and R. Mark, (2001), Prototype Risk Rating System'. Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol 25, pp. 47-95.
11) Dichev, I... and Piotroski, J.D. (2001), 'The Long-run Stock Returns Following Bond Rating Changes',The Journal of Finance, Vol. 56. pp. 173-203.
12) Goh, J.C.andEderington, L.H. (1993), 'Is a Bond Rating Downgrade Bad News, Good News, or No News for Stockholders?‟ The Journal of Finance, Vol. 48, pp. 2001-8.
13) Goh, J.C. and Ederington, L.H.( 1999), 'Cross Sectional Variation in the Stock Market Reaction to Bond Rating Changes', The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 39, pp. 101-12.
14) Hand, J.R.M., R.W. Holthausen, R.W.andLeftwich, R.W. (1992), 'The Effect of Bond Rating Agency Announcements on Bond and Stock Prices', the Journal of Finance, Vol. 47, pp. 733-52.
15) Hite, G. and Warga, A. (1997), 'The Effect of Bond Rating Changes on Bond Price Performance, Financial Analyst Journal, Vol. xxx, pp. 35-51.
16) Holthausen, R.W., andLeftwich, R.W. (1986), 'The Effect of Bond Rating Changes on Common Stock Prices', Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 17, pp. 57-89.
17) Hsueh, L.P. and Liu,Y.A. (1992), ,Market Anticipation and the Effect of bond Rating Changes on Common Stock Prices', Journal of Business Research, Vol. 24, pp. 225-39.
18) Kish, R.J. Hogan, K.M. and Olson, G. (1999), 'Does the Market Perceive a Difference in Rating Agencies?‟ The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 39, pp. 363-77.
19) Kliger, D. and Sarig, O. (2000), 'The Information Value of Bond Ratings', The Journal of Finance, Vol.55, pp.2879-902.
20) Matolcsy, Z.P. and Lianto, T. (1995), 'The Incremental Information Content of Bond Rating Revisions: The Australian Evidence', Journal of Banking & Finance, Vol. 19, pp. 891- 902.
21) Norden, L. and Weber, M. (2004), 'Informational Efficiency of Credit Default Swap and Stock Markets: The Impact of Credit Rating Announcements', Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 28, pp. 2813-43.
22) Pinches, G.E. and J.C. Singleton, (1978), 'The Adjustment of Stock Prices to Bond Rating Changes. The Journal of Finance, Vol. 33, pp. 29-44.
23) Uwe, W. (2005) “Credit Risk Evaluation: Modeling - Analysis - Management,” Center for Risk & Evaluation, Vol. 33, pp 345-356, June 14, 2005.
24) Weinstein, M.I. (1977), 'The Effect of Rating Change Announcements on Bond Price', Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 5, pp. 329-50.
25) Zaima, J.K. and JMcCarthy, (1988), 'The Impact of Bond Rating Changes on Common Stocks and Bonds: Tests of the Wealth Redistribution Hypothesis', The Financial Review, Vol. 23, pp. 483-98.