Effectiveness of Video Assisted Teaching Program (VATP) on Knowledge Regarding Essential Newborn Care (ENC) Among Primipara Mothers

International Journal of Nursing and Health Science
© 2017 by SSRG - IJNHS Journal
Volume 3 Issue 2
Year of Publication : 2017
Authors : Rajathi. S, Sunitha Priyadharshini.J, Christa Sagayamary
How to Cite?

Rajathi. S, Sunitha Priyadharshini.J, Christa Sagayamary, "Effectiveness of Video Assisted Teaching Program (VATP) on Knowledge Regarding Essential Newborn Care (ENC) Among Primipara Mothers," SSRG International Journal of Nursing and Health Science, vol. 3,  no. 2, pp. 9-12, 2017. Crossref, https://doi.org/10.14445/24547484/IJNHS-V3I2P103


A. Background: The divine gifts of newborns are at higher risk of mortality and severe morbidity than the infant and childhood period. The essential of newborn care combined with the identification and appropriate management of newborn complications is crucial to ensure optimal neonatal health outcomes. The primary aim of the study was to assess the effectiveness of a video-assisted teaching program (VATP) on knowledge regarding Essential Newborn Care (ENC) among primipara mothers.

B. Material and Methods: A quantitative, pre-experimental design was adopted for this study. Through a non-randomized convenient sampling technique, sixty primipara mothers were selected. The pre and post-test data were collected through a structured interview method with multiple-choice questionnaires. The collected data were analyzed by using descriptive and inferential statistics.

C. Results: Out of the 60 mothers in the pretest, 88 % had inadequate knowledge, and 12 % had moderate knowledge, whereas in post-test, 87 % had adequate knowledge, the remaining 13 % had moderate knowledge, and none of them had inadequate knowledge. The paired‘t’ test value between the overall pre and post-test was 33.65 shows a significant difference between the knowledge score at p>0.05*. The chi-square value reveals that the mother’s age, education, type of family, and residence had a significant association with knowledge score.

D. Conclusion: The findings of the study show that the mean post-test knowledge score of 34.46 ±3.44 was higher than the mean pretest knowledge score of 9.0±2.85.It depicts that; VATP was an effective method to increase the knowledge among primipara mothers regarding ENC.


Video-Assisted Teaching Program (VATP), Knowledge, Newborn, Primi para mothers.


[1] John P, Cloherty , Eric.C. Eichenward et al., Manual of Neonatal care. 5th ed, Lippincott Williams and wilkins, Philadelphia.
[2] Zulfiqar A. Bhutta .Global Epidemiology of Newborn Mortality: What? When? Where? Why? Professor & Founding Chair Women & Child Health Division, (2011). Available in http://www.healthynewbornnetwork.org/hnn-content/uploads/Global-Newborn-Health.pdf .
[3] Neonatal Mortality rate is highest in AP, TS, (2016). Available in http://www. thehansindia. com/ posts/index/Telangana/2016-01-17/Neonatal-Mortality-rate-is-highest-in-AP-TS/200670 and http://www.tradingeconomics.com/india/ mortality-rate-neonatal-per-1-000-live-births-wb-data.html
[4] MJ Sankar , SB Neogi , J Sharma , M Chauhan et al. State of Newborn Health in India, Journal of Perinatology, (2016) 36 S3–S8. doi:10.1038/jp.2016.183.
[5] Liu L, Johnson HL, Cousens S, et al., Child Health Epidemiology .Reference Group of WHO and UNICEF. Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality: An updated systematic analysis for 2010 with time trends since Lancet. 2012; 379 (2002) 2151-2161.
[6] The India newborn Action plan. Ministry of Health & Family Welfare Government of India September, (2014). Available in http://nrhm.gov.in/images/pdf/ programmes/inap-final.pdf
[7] Oinam MD, Kharde S. A Randomized Control Trial on Effectiveness of Video Assisted Teaching Program (VATP) on Knowledge Regarding Essential Newborn Care Among Primipara Mothers in Postnatal Ward of Selected Hospital, Belgaum. International Journal of Science and Research. Karnataka. (4) (2015) 16.
[8] Shrishail. B. Tambakad, Sumitra. LA. Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Program (PTP) on Knowledge Regarding Prevention of Neonatal Hypothermia among Postnatal Mothers, (5) (2015). DOI No: 10.5958/2349-2996.2015.00028.2 .
[9] USha MB, Sangeeta NK, Sudha AR. A study to evaluate the effectiveness of planned teaching program on knowledge of mothers on prevention of hypothermia among newborns in selected hospital of Belgaum, Karnataka, South Asian Federation of Obstestetrics and Gynaecology, Jan- April 2(1) (2010) 89-92.
[10] Misgna HG, Gegru HB,Birhanu MM . Knowledge , Practice and associated factors of essential newborn care at home among mothers in gulomekada district, eastern Tigray, Ethiopia, Preganancy and Child Birth, (16) (2016) 144. DOI: 10.1186/s12884-016-0931-y.