Retrofitting of Reinforced Concrete Beams using Rubberizedcoir Fibre Sheets
|International Journal of Civil Engineering|
|© 2016 by SSRG - IJCE Journal|
|Volume 3 Issue 3|
|Year of Publication : 2016|
|Authors : Poorna Prasad Rao.O.L, RamaMohan Rao.P|
How to Cite?
Poorna Prasad Rao.O.L, RamaMohan Rao.P, "Retrofitting of Reinforced Concrete Beams using Rubberizedcoir Fibre Sheets," SSRG International Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 20-27, 2016. Crossref, https://doi.org/10.14445/23488352/IJCE-V3I3P105
This paper presents retrofitting of reinforced concrete beams using Rubberized coir fiber,a natural laminate,inboth flexure and shear for which is subjected under two point loading.The main aim of this study is to rehabilitate the structurally deficient beam and to make it serviceable in both flexure and shear.The beams retrofitted with rubberized coir fibre sheets(RCFS) are used to make structure efficient and to restore stiffness and strength values greater than those of control beams.Understanding the response of these components during loading is crucial to the development of an overall efficient and safe structure.Formation of first cracks,RCFSdebondingand onsetof concrete crushing are compared and discussed.Load–deflection behavior,failure modes and crackpropagation patterns are studied extensively.The presence of shear straps to enhance shear strength has the dual benefit of delaying debonding of RCFS sheets used for flexural strengthening. The test results showed that thestiffness of the RCFS retrofitted beams are greatly increased compared to the control beams and also the deflection of retrofitted beams were reduced predominantly at the early stages of loading.The ultimate loads at failure of the specimen were increased.Instead of replacing the entire structure,it would be better to go for retrofitting.
Retrofit, Rubberized coir fibre, Stiffness.
1) Daniel Baggio,KhaledSoudki,MartinNoel.,Strengthening of shear critical RC beams with various FRP systems’
2) YasmeenTalebObaidat,SusanneHeyden,olaDahlblom,Ghazi Abu-Farsakh,Yahia Abdel-Jawad.,Retrofitting of reinforced concrete beams using composite laminates.Construction and Building Materials 25 (2011) 591–597
3) Vishnu.H.Jariwala, PareshV.Patel,SharadkumarP.Purohit,Strengthening of RC beams subjected to combined torsion and bending with GFRP composites
4) Riyadh Al-Amery,Riadh Al-Mahaidi coupled flexural-shear retrofitting of RC beams using CFRP straps.Composite Structures 75 (2006) 457–464
5) Michael.A.Colalillo,Shamim.A.Sheikh,Seismic retrofit of shearcritical reinforced concrete beams using CFRP,Construction and Building Materials 32 (2012) 99–109
6) Tara sen,H.N.jagannathareddy,Efficacy of bio derived jute FRP composite based technique for shear strength retrofitting of reinforced concrete beams and its comparative analysis with carbon and glass FRP shear retrofitting schemes., Sustainable Cities and Society 13 (2014) 105–124
7) Tara sen, H.N.jagannathareddy,Flexural strengthening of RC beams using natural sisal and artificial carbon and glass fabric reinforced composite system., Sustainable Cities and Society 10 (2014) 195–206
8) HamidrezaTahsiri,OmidSedehi, AlirezaKhaloo, Elias MolaeiRaisi,Experimental study of RC jacketed and CFRP strengthened RC beams’ Construction and Building Materials 95 (2015) 476–485
9) Mohammad R.Irsidat,MohammedH.Al- Saleh,HashemAlmashagbeh, Effect of carbon nanotubes on strengthening of RC beams retrofitted with carbon fibre/epoxy composites.material and design 89(2016):225-234.
10) Kai Liu,MingWang,Yaan Wang, seismic retrofitting of rural rammed earth buildings using externally bonded fibers, construction and building materials.100(2015):91-101,
11) Gonzalo Ruano,FacundaIsla,BibianaLuccioni., shear retrofitting of reinforced concrete beams with steel fiber reinforced concrete,construction and building materials. 54(2014)646-658
12)M.N.S.Hadi, Retrofitting of shear failed reinforced concrete beams.composite structures62(2003)1-6
13) H.R.Ronagh,Eslami, SheikhFlexural retrofitting of RC buildings using GFRP/CFRP- A comparative study.Composites: Part B 46 (2013) 188–196
14) Tara Sen , H.N.JagannathaReddy., strengthening of RC beams in flexure using natural jute fibre textile reinforced composite system and its comparative study with CFRP and GFRP strengthening systems’ International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment (2013) 2, 41–55
15) ACI 318M-08,Building Code Requirements for structural concrete and commentary,American Concrete Institute,Farmington Hills,2008
16) ACI 440.2R-08.Guide for the Design and Contruction of Externally Bonded FRP systems For Strengthening Concrete Structures,American Concrete Institute,2008
17) IS-456:2000.Indian Standard,Plain and Reinforced concretecode of practice(4th revision).
18) IS-10262. (2009). Indian Standard, Concrete mix proportioning – Guidelines (1st revision).
19) ISO 527-4:1997.Plastics-Determination of tensile properties,part-4:Test conditions for isotropic and orthotropic fibre-reinforced plastic composites.
20) ISO 527-5 1997.Plastics-Determination of tensile properties,Part-5:Test conditions for unidirectional fibre-reinforced plastic composites.