Time History Analysis of the Base Isolated Steel Structure
|International Journal of Civil Engineering|
|© 2017 by SSRG - IJCE Journal|
|Volume 4 Issue 6|
|Year of Publication : 2017|
|Authors : Fasil Mohi ud Din, Pavitra.C, Dr. M.Muthukumar|
How to Cite?
Fasil Mohi ud Din, Pavitra.C, Dr. M.Muthukumar, "Time History Analysis of the Base Isolated Steel Structure," SSRG International Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 15-26, 2017. Crossref, https://doi.org/10.14445/23488352/IJCE-V4I6P103
In this research paper the main part of study was to check the response of the base isolation of the steel structure under time history analysis. Base isolation is one of the most widely accepted seismic protection systems used in structures in earthquake prone areas. The base isolation system separates the structure from its foundation and primarily moves it relative to that of the upper structure. The aim of this study is to reduce the base shear and story drifts due to earthquake ground excitation, applied to the superstructure of the building by installing base isolation devices at the foundation level and then to compare the different performances between the fixed base condition and base-isolated condition. In this study, the (G+9) unsymmetrical steel. Structure is used as test model. Friction base isolator is used as isolation system in this study. Nonlinear time history analysis is used on both of fixed base and base isolated structure. The comparative study of the acceleration, displacement and base shear was carried out for both fixed base and base isolated structure. It is found that the displacement is increased with period of the structure in case of base isolated structure and the acceleration is reduced and vice versa.
Displacement, base shear, acceleration, base isolation, nonlinear time history analysis, friction base isolator.
1) Ruiyang Zhang1 and Brian M. Phillips, A.M.ASCE(2015).” Performance and Protection of Base-Isolated Structures under Blast Loading”. 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000974. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, © ASCE, ISSN 0733- 9399/04015063(12)
2) Xiao-Kang Zou, Ph.D.1; Qian Wang, Ph.D., P.E., M.ASCE; Gang Li, Ph.D.3; and Chun man Chan Ph.D., M.ASCE(2010). “Integrated Reliability-Based Seismic Drift Design Optimization of Base-Isolated Concrete Buildings”.
3) 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943541X.0000216.Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 136, No. 10, October 1, 2010. ©ASCE, ISSN 0733-9445/2010/10-1282–1295.
4) Lin Su,1 Goodarz Ahmadi,2 and Iradj G. Tadjbakhsh3.” COMPARATIVE STUDY OF BASE ISOLATION SYSTEMS” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 115, No. 9, September, 1989. ©ASCE, ISSN 0733-9399/89/0009-1976/
5) Mark A. Austin, M.ASCE,1 and Wane-Jang Lin2.” Energy Balance Assessment of Base- Isolated Structures” 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2004)130:3(347). Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 130, No. 3, March 1, 2004. ©ASCE, ISSN 0733-9399/2004/3-347–358
6) Michel S. Chalhoub,1 Member, ASCE, and James M. Kelly2. “COMPARISON OF SEAONC BASE ISOLATION TENTATIVE CODE TO SHAKE TABLE TESTS” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 116, No. 4, April, 1990. ©ASCE, ISSN 0733-9445/90/0004-0925.
7) Lin Su,1 Goodarz Ahmadi,2 and Iradj G. Tadjbakhsh3.” PERFORMANCE OF SLIDING RESILIENT-FRICTION BASE-ISOLATION SYSTEM” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 117, No.1, January, 1991. ©ASCE, ISSN 0733-9445/91/0001-0165.
8) Satish Nagarajaiah,1 Andrei M. Reinhorn,2 Member, ASCE, and Michalakis C. Constantinou,3 Associate Member, ASCE.”NONLINEAR DYNAMIC ANALYSIS OF 3-DBASEISOLATED STRUCTURES”. Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 117,No. 7, July, 1991.©ASCE, ISSN 0733- 9445/91/0007-2035
9) Prayag J. Sayani1 and Keri L. Ryan, M.ASCE2. “Comparative Evaluation of Base-Isolated and Fixed-Base Buildings Using a Comprehensive Response Index”. 10.1061/_ASCE_0733- 9445_2009_135:6_698. Journal of Structural Engineering,Vol. 135, No. 6, June 1, 2009.©ASCE, ISSN 0733-9445/2009/6-698- 707.
10) Vasant A. Matsagar1 and R. S. Jangid2. “Base Isolation for Seismic Retrofitting of Structures”. 10.1061/_ASCE_1084- 0680_2008_13:4_175.Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, Vol. 13, No. 4, November 1, 2008. ©ASCE, ISSN 1084- 0680/2008/4-175–185.
11) Takehiko Asai1; Chia-Ming Chang2; and B. F. Spencer Jr., F.ASCE3. “Real-Time Hybrid Simulation of a Smart Base- Isolated Building”. 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000844. © 2014 American Society of Civil Engineers. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, © ASCE, ISSN 0733- 9399/04014128(10).
12) Sajal Kanti Deb;Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati 781 039, India. “Seismic base isolation”. CURRENT SCIENCE, VOL. 87, NO. 10, 25 NOVEMBER 2004
13) J. S. Hwang; Member, ASCE “EVALUATION OF EQUIVALENT LINEAR ANALYSIS METHODS OF BRIDGE ISOLATION”. Journal of Structural Engineering, Vo!. 122, No.8, August, 1996. ©ASCE, ISSN 0733- 9445/96/0008-0972-0976.
14) SHIRULE. P. A, JAGTAP. L. P, SONAWANE. K. R, PATIL. T. D, JADWANIR. N and SONAR. S. K “Time History Analysis of Base Isolated Multi-Storyed Building”. International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering ISSN 0974-5904, Vol. 05, No. 04, August 2012, pp. 809-816.